How to replace Default Desktop Environment with Cinnamon in Kali Linux
How to install Cinnamon in Kali Linux
If you do not like GNOME 3 in Kali Linux, you can install any Desktop Environment you prefer. I like Cinnamon, so to install Cinnamon in Kali Linux:
sudo apt update sudo apt install kali-defaults kali-root-login desktop-base cinnamon sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
Select option with /usr/bin/cinnamon-session:
Reboot your system.
You will find desktop wallpapers in /usr/share/backgrounds/.
If anyway you boot into default Desktop Environment, you should install lightdm:
sudo apt install lightdm
A display manager is a program that provides graphical login capabilities for the X Window System.
Only one display manager can manage a given X server, but multiple display manager packages are installed. Please select which display manager should run by default.
You will have issues while using Cinnamon as root. You will not able change background of your desktop or create a shortcut on the desktop. You should login as normal user.
How to create a normal user in Kali Linux
useradd -m -G sudo -s /bin/bash new_user
Replace new_user with actual name of your new user.
Set the system password for the new user:
If you don’t like to type password every time when you use sudo, use the following command:
echo '%sudo ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL' >> /etc/sudoers
How to return GNOME 3 and a standard Display Manager in Kali Linux
In order to reverse made changes and come back to GNOME 3 and GDM3 in Kali Linux, use the following commands (to select Desktop Environment)
sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
To select Display Manager:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
Last Updated on
- Comprehensive step by step guide to install Arch Linux (62.5%)
- How to update Kali Linux (51.7%)
- How to configure Kali Linux to use a static IP address (51.7%)
- How to install Guake in Kali Linux (51.7%)
- How to Install Total Commander Counterpart in Kali Linux (51.7%)
- Live USB flash drive with Linux does not boot, error ‘A start job is running for live-config contains the components that configure a live system during the boot process (late userspace)’ (SOLVED) (RANDOM - 15.8%)